June 4, 2011

Character Training



This has become one of my favorite character building books. Notice I said "one of." Someday maybe I'll do a post about some of my other favorites.

Anyway, I found this book through "No Greater Joy." (Check out my sidebar for a link.) I was using Charlotte Mason's writings on habits through Simply Charlotte Mason ("Laying Down Rails") when I found this resource. One of the things I like best is the definition along with scripture references. Kim has done a great job putting these into a one page format that I copy and place on our fridge as a daily reminder- especially to myself. We've been covering one trait about every six to eight weeks.

Our newest trait is PERSEVERANCE -Finishing what you start. "It is good for a man to work hard in his youth." Lamentations 3:27 I just had to share a little bit of Kim's writings.....


"Charlie Meyer, a pastor in Minneapolis, shared this list of men versus boys to help focus on raising men.

Men vs. Boys:


  • Men Work. Boys play games.

  • Men are driven by principles. Boys are driven by hormones.

  • Men are self-disciplined. Boys are self-absorbed.

  • Men lay down their lives to serve. Boys cry for help.

  • Men live under authority. Boys live in rebellion.

  • Men get things done. Boys dream and make excuses.

Now here is Kim's list to guide in raising ladies versus girls.


Ladies vs. Girls:



  • Ladies trust God. Girls worry.

  • Ladies are driven by principles. Girls are driven by emotions

  • Ladies honor God. Girls obsess over beauty.

  • Ladies serve. Girls want to be waited on.

  • Ladies live under authority. Girls fight for what they think are their rights.

  • Ladies are purposeful. Girls daydream and fantasize.

  • Ladies honor others. Girls gossip.

  • Ladies build their homes. Girls hit the mall.

No comments: