December 16, 2009

Latkes

Mmmm.... we were looking forward to the night of Hanukkah that we would make latkes. They were worth the wait!




3 large potatoes
1 small onion
2 beaten eggs
2 tablespoons matza flour
1 teaspoon salt
pinch of pepper
1/2 cup of olive oil

Wash the potatoes very well, but you don't have to peel them - they're healthier and easier to prepare unpeeled. Grate them coarsely into a bowl. Grate in the onion. Add the beaten eggs, flour, salt, and pepper. Let the mixture sit for ten minutes to thicken. Pour off the excess liquid. Heat the oil for one minute in a frying pan. Gently drop the potato mixture into the pan, making each circle two inches across. When the latkes are brown around the edges, turn and fry them until the other sides are crispy. Drain them on paper towels and eat them with sour cream and/or applesauce. Makes about 24 pancakes.
John 10: 22-30
Now it was the Feast of Dedication in Jerusalem, and it was winter. And Jesus walked in the temple, in Solomon's porch. Then the Jews surrounded Him and said to Him, "How long do You keep us in doubt? If You are the Messiah, tell us plainly."
Jesus answered them, "I told you, and you do not believe. The works that I do in My Father's name, they bear witness of Me. But you do not believe, because you are not of My sheep, as I said to you, "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father's hand.I and the Father are one.

1 comment:

KellyMellyBoBellyBananaFanna said...

my best friend's mother used to make these for us all the time growing up. i haven't had them in ages. thanks for the recipe! brings back sooo many memories.

kelly
http://tearinguphouses.blogspot.com