June 28, 2008

I'm Hooked...

...and I am so out of shape! I just returned home from my first bike ride in... um?... 20 some years. One thing about it. You have to keep going if you want to get back home.

I had been praying about some activity that Little Man and I could do together. I'm not good at throwing any type of ball. Nor do I enjoying "wetting a hook" as he calls it (I believe he would rather fish than eat). The bugs and snakes that call the hiking trail their home "bug" me in the summertime. But biking...

We decided that is something we could do together that we might both enjoy. So, we invested in a bike for me yesterday (sure am glad we choose the one with the "wider, padded saddle"). The road that I have traveled for 16+ years came to life this morning. I had no idea there were so many wildflowers growing along its sides. Yep... I'm hooked. Now I just have to get in shape to keep up with my Little Man.

By the way... Helmets are smart. http://www.helmets.org/index.htm


  • About 540,000 bicyclists visit emergency rooms with injuries every year. Of those, about 67,000 have head injuries.

  • One in eight of the cyclists with reported injuries has a brain injury.

  • Two-thirds of the deaths are from traumatic brain injury.

  • A very high percentage of cyclists' brain injuries can be prevented by a helmet, estimated at anywhere from 45 to 88 per cent.

  • Helmets are cheap.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like great fun! I still remember riding my "no speeds" bike to MomBo's from the old house...on a dirt road!!! It seemed to take FOREVER...but what great memories! I used to ride to the barn from the house a lot, too...I loved going down the hill (that used to be BIG) after you left the barn. Oh what fun!! :D

Taylor said...

i still HATE helmets!! lol

sounds like fun and good way 2 enjoy ur son and God's other creations!