January 5, 2011

Homeschooling Thoughts

I am just loving the recent news reports of growth in the homeshcooling community. As well as statistics on how our homeschooled students are scoring higher than their peers, doing so well in their college pursuits, and are "in demand" at college admissions offices. However, it saddens me when the media wants to find a bad situation and blame an unrelated circumstnace on homeschooling. If only we could share some of the many phone calls and emails that we recieve through Mid-East THEA. They are from parents that long to provide their children with the very best education. Just this week I received a call from one of those very families- brnad new homeschoolers that were burdened with making sure they were "doing it right" and providing their sons with a quality education. May I encourage those of us that choose to take the responsibility of educating our children each and ever day? Our labors are not in vain! Keep up the hard work mom and dad. I beleive with all my heart that in the near future our cherished blessings with have hearts full of gratitude.

Now back to the front line. No wonder I love homeschooling! I cna't describe the excitement when you realize I just taught my kid that- whether it is reading that first word, finishing an algebraic equation, or baking cupcakes. I was singing the ABC song this afternoon and had to stop to care for Rachel when all of a sudden I heard Jonathan say, "T Momma, T!" Yep, sure enough T was the next letter. And last night he blurted out, "1... 2... 3!"

Tomorrow morning when we hit the books again, I'll be encouraged. I wouldn't have it any other way!

No comments: