April 28, 2011

F4

You know, I had no idea what an F4 was. Until this week - when an F4 tornado ripped through Cleveland and Athens doing indescribably damage.




Laiel was at our house when we started to realize that "bad weather" on the way. The weather broadcast issued a warning for our area to take shelter. So I took everyone to the basement. Soon afterwards Eddie came home from work. There was a break in the storms around 4 o'clock. Long enough for us to come upstairs for some dinner and to send Laiel home. When I saw this rainbow in the back yard, I had no idea what was was coming.We spent the entire evening in the basement watching the weather on TV. Funny- we never lost electricity. It was amazing to watch one storm after another. They seemed to just keep coming. IT was so scary. Especially when they would tell us it was going to hit Clearwater in 9 minutes or in 7 minutes it would be in such and such area. Even when bedtime rolled around, we were still being battered. Eddie and I decided to go ahead and put the children in their beds. However just 15 minutes later, we were grabbing them and carrying them back downstairs. We did that two more times before the tornadoes were finally gone around midnight. Our home didn't suffer any damage beside a shingle missing here and there. Isaac did find strange things in the yard the next day (like baseball cards!). Dionne and Kevin even found bills from Alabama at thier house. But oh the damage! This morning when I talked with April to see if Laiel was coming back, I was surprised at her description of their community. Ended up that it was one of the hardest hit. Not only that but a friend that had just been at Dooley yesterday picking up her grain order from April lost her little child last night to the tornados. My heart is heavy trying to understand why were were so protected while so many suffered. It's days like this I must trust God's character and not what I see around me.

No comments: