November 1, 2008

So why are we changing the clocks this weekend?

Mom and Dad gave us a grandfather clock that is a treasure to me. It was handmade and give to my parents by their employees when I was about five years old. It now sits on the balcony in our home overlooking the living room.

When it comes time to adjust the clocks for daylight savings time, it's a pretty simple procedure. You either punch a bunch of buttons or spin the hands of the clock you are setting. But not on the grandfather clock. Today I will need to stop it on the hour, then tomorrow start the pendulum again at the same time. Got me to thinking... so why it is we monkey around with the time every year?

I decided to do a quick search and find out "why." Because... "trick-or-treaters" are safer (seriously!), there are possibly fewer traffic accidents, energy conservation, fewer violent crimes, increased voter turnout (what?), and people like it. Well, I don't. Let's just leave it alone ;-)

The book of Revelation tells us in Chapter 10, there will come a day "that there should be time no longer"... Wow! Difficult for me to comprehend.

Be sure and reset those clocks tonight. By the way, just why is it at 2:00 am? Check out http://www.webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/b.html for a cool website all about daylight savings time.

No comments: