November 23, 2008

True or False

Remember back when we were taking tests in school? The true and false sections were somewhat of a relief to me compared to the discussion questions. At least I have a 50/50 chance if I did not know the answer. Yet, even to answer the true or false questions, I had to know the "answer." I had to know what was correct-truth.

I am so very thankful for our church fellowship. Our meeting this weekend challenged me to continue to be learning, growing, understanding the doctrines of scripture.
A post from a friend and mentor over at http://blog.achristianhome.org/2008/11/22/you-just-gotta-wonder-that-7-day-challenge/ confirmed to me what we had read and discussed last night in 1 Timothy. You may have heard the following story before. Still... it is such an awesome reminder to me.


"The American Banking Association once sponsored a two-week training program to help tellers detect counterfeit bills. The program was unique. Never during the two-week training did the tellers even look at a counterfeit bill, nor did they listen to any lectures concerning the characteristics of counterfeit bills or denouncing the manufacture of counterfeit bills. All they did for two weeks was handle authentic currency, hour after hour and day after day, until they were so familiar with the true that they could not possible be fooled by the false." E. George's Pursing Godliness

Oh that we as Christians would only allow truth into our homes. I want my children to be handling the real thing so that when they have finished their "training program" they will easily recognize false things.
"... charge some that they teach no other doctrine, nor give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which cause disputes rather than godly edification which is in faith. Now the purpose of the commandment is love from a pure heart, from a good conscience,
and from sincere faith, from which some, having strayed,
have turned aside to idle talk, desiring to be teachers of the law,
understanding neither what they say now the things which they affirm. "
1 Timothy 1:3-7

No comments: